Leylan Forte, 4, passed away in an ambulance outside his home from dehydration, gastroenteritis and norovirus.
A sheriff has ruled that the death of a Scots boy could have been avoided if vital information on his medical condition had been shared between his GP and NHS 24.
Leylan Forte, 4, died from dehydration, gastroenteritis and norovirus in an ambulance outside his home in Montrose, Angus.
The youngster suffered from cerebral palsy, suspected autism, an eating disorder and wasn’t able to communicate.
In April 2015, Leylan fell seriously ill. His parents called NHS 24 but said they were repeatedly told a doctor would not be sent out.
Dr Monica Ireland later attended the family’s home but Leylan died in an ambulance as it prepared to take him to hospital.
His parents Leanne Smith and Wayne Forte insisted poor advice given by NHS 24 contributed to his death and threatened to sue.
A fatal accident inquiry at Dundee Sheriff Court has ruled Leylan could have survived if his medical needs had been shared in a Key Information Summary (KIS).
It also found a telephone assessment with NHS Tayside Out of Hours service or a home visit was a precaution which could have ‘reasonably’ been taken by NHS 24.
Sheriff Jillian Martin-Brown also blasted delays into the probe which was held because of ‘serious public concern’ with the case.
NHS 24 nurse Donald Corbett told the probe he would have ordered an emergency ambulance had he been aware of all of Leylan’s circumstances.
Source: Daily RecordCategories: Uncategorised