- This event has passed.
BSA/Hieda – New to the Role: School Nurses
20th January 2023 @ 10:30 am - 3:30 pm
- Date: 20 January 2023
- Time: 10:30 – 15:30
- Venue: Zoom (online) – Seminar
- This seminar is suitable for practitioners working with boarding students and in residential care/accommodation settings.
This virtual seminar is an introduction for new Nurses entering the world of Day and boarding Independent school nursing and for practicing School Nurses to broaden their knowledge. The day will offer the opportunity to meet other Nurses working in similar settings as well as learning where and how to access key guidance and information to run a Medical Centre within a school.
The content is specific to the Independent school environment and focuses on life outside of the NHS or private medical provision. Attending this training will help Nurses moving into the environment familiarise themselves with processes, procedures and responsibilities unique to the sector.
Training topics will include:
- Roles and responsibilities
- Policies and protocols (medicines management)
- Confidentiality and consent
- National Minimum Standards (NMS) for Boarding, Inspections and the wider role.
- To understand nursing and the role of nurse in the school setting
- To promote high standards of care for all children
- To work withing the guidance required in the UK.
Jane Graham, Director, Hieda
Trained at Great Ormond Street Hospital for Sick Children, Jane has over 30 years of nursing background, Many of them in trauma and intensive care. Whilst in PICU, she had a number of different roles. Nine years of that included a role as a specialist retrieval nurse (CATS) that entailed travelling around the country to stabilise and bring back critically unstable children. To do this she learned advanced nursing and basic medical skills in resuscitation, all medical conditions, and trauma.
She went on to teach these skills to student nurses, qualified nurses and junior doctors as the Practice educator on intensive care. This role also involved lecturing regularly at South Bank University. She has been a DSL for Safeguarding at an independent boarding school where she was Lead Nurse. She is also an instructor for Qualsafe, an awarding body approved by the HSE. She is currently the director of Hieda and director of health and wellbeing for the BSA Group.
- Member Rate: £145
- Non-member Rate: £290*
*If you would like to become a member and access discounted rates for Hieda CPD and events, please click here.