Paediatric first aid
23 November @ 9:00 am - 24 November @ 4:00 pm
- Those caring for children under the age of 8
- Those who have an Ofsted requirement for first aid provision
- Those renewing their Paediatric First aid certificates.
The two-day course focuses on emergency situations encountered by professionals and carers looking after children and babies. This course meets the criteria outlined by Ofsted.
Training topics will include
- Role of first aider
- Managing a first aid situation
- Health and safety guidelines
- Resuscitation (BLS adult child and baby) with defibrillator
- Choking (adult child and baby)
- Recovery position and secondary survey
- Wounds dressings and bleeding
- Reason for and treating the unconscious casualty
- Childhood conditions, e.g. meningitis and croup
- Temperature control
- Fractures sprains and strains
- Head injuries and spinal injuries
- To become a paediatric first aider
- To learn skills to assess manage and treat children under the age of eight
- To be able to promote recovery, preserve life and prevent situations from worsening.
Jane Graham, Director, Hieda
Trained at Great Ormond Street Hospital for Sick Children, Jane has 27 years of nursing background; 17 of which is in trauma and intensive care. Whilst in PICU, she had a number of different roles. Nine years of that included a role as a specialist retrieval nurse (CATS) that entailed travelling around the country to stabilize and bring back critically unstable children. To do this she learned advanced nursing and basic medical skills in resuscitation, all medical conditions, and trauma.
She went on to teach these skills to student nurses, qualified nurses and junior doctors as the Practice educator on intensive care. This role also involved lecturing regularly at South Bank University. She has been a DSL for Safeguarding at an independent boarding school where she was Lead Nurse. She is also an instructor for Qualsafe, an awarding body approved by the HSE.
- Member rate (individual): £120
- Member rate (group of 12): £800*
*If you would like to become a member and access discounted rates for Hieda CPD and events, please click here.