Applications are invited for this new exciting role of education and public health fellow, created to provide an opportunity to develop skills in medical education and public health within Northumbria Healthcare NHS. Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust is rated outstanding for the Care Quality Commission. This is an unique opportunity to develop skills relating to the transition of medical students to the NHS and also in health and wellbeing, building on the success of 2 dynamic and successful teams within the trust.
Main duties of the job
This post will offer experience and opportunity to develop a range of skills whilst participating in key work streams including: teaching, student and trainee engagement, student and trainee health and wellbeing and transition to the medical practitioner. The Fellow will complete a specific project encompassing one or more of these themes as part of the post.
The successful candidate will be given a comprehensive induction programme which aims to prepare the fellow for their year ahead. The Fellow will work on projects with senior managers within Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust, allowing them to develop longitudinal relationships throughout the placement and to become an integrated member of the trust team. The clinical fellow will have opportunities to share learning with organisations and regions, both within the north east and nationally.
We manage three major locality hospitals at North Tyneside, Wansbeck and Hexham, plus a number of smaller community hospitals and clinics from Tynemouth to Berwick on Tweed, covering one of the largest geographical areas of any NHS trust in the country. Leading in innovation and quality opening a state of the art Northumbria Specialist Emergency Care Hospital, the first of its kind in England. Do you want to work in one of the best performing NHS organisations in England? Work in an organisation that supports its staff and focuses on staff experience as much as it does the experience of its patients? You can live and breathe in an area that has the cleanest air, cost effective living, great nightlife, some of the best schools with a wealth of history available on your doorstep. Sound too good to be true? Well it isnt, this is what you get when you work for Northumbria Healthcare, this is the Northumbria Way!
The primary aims of the post are:
- To experience and develop teaching and management skills within a number of work streams within Northumbria Trust
- To develop a longitudinal meaningful relationship with senior managers within both the undergraduate and postgraduate education teams and also the public health team within Northumbria Trust
- To design, with supervision, a well-being strategy that straddles year 5 of the Newcastle University MBBS undergraduate programme and the foundation programme
- To complete a postgraduate certificate that complements the learning objectives of the fellowship
- Building capacity, and establishing longer term sustainability strategy of engagement with trainees with the Trusts
- Promoting the Trust Health and Wellbeing strategies with trainees and students
- To support and coordinate taster sessions and formal placements within the public health team including for IMT 3 doctors and the undergraduate SSC placement in public health
- To support public health capacity building, identifying and participating in public health teaching opportunities within medical education and the wider workforce.
- To work collaboratively with the public health team, and have responsibility for specific projects/initiatives aligned to the public health strategy and delivery programme.
- To support monitoring and evaluation of agreed projects/initiatives and ensure programmes of work are delivered within agreed timescales.
Disclosure and Barring Service Check
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly known as CRB) to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Tier 2 Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Tier 2/skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website.
From 6 April 2017, Tier 2/skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants.
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website (opens in a new window).
Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
For more information, or to apply, please click here.